Check out some of our favorite tunes this month and comment what some of your faves are!
WELCOME TO MARCH! We’re back with some more of our favorite tunes! Be sure to follow us on Spotify too (sugarandspiceofficial), so you’ll be the first in the know for when we upload a new playlist! xx
“Or maybe a person is just made up of a lot of people,” I say. “Maybe we’re accumulating these new selves all the time.” Hauling them in as we make choices, good and bad, as we screw up, step up, lose our minds, find our minds, fall apart, fall in love, as we grieve, grow, retreat from the world, dive into the world, as we make things, as we break things.”“Meeting your soul mate is like walking into a house you’ve been in before — you will recognize the furniture, the pictures on the wall, the books on the shelves, the contents of drawers: You could find your way around in the dark if you had to.” “I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living now.” “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.” “I’m absolutely removed from the world at such times…The hours go by without my knowing it. Sitting there I’m wandering in countries I can see every detail of – I’m playing a role in the story I’m reading. I actually feel I’m the characters – I live and breath with them.” “She was seeking herself and finding herself in just such sweet, half-darkness which met her moods. But the voices were not soothing that came to her from the darkness and the sky above and the stars. They jeered and sounded mournful notes without promise, devoid even of hope.” “Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.” “Maybe, there’s a moment growing up when something peels back… Maybe, maybe, we look for secrets because we can’t believe our mind.” “That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it’s also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real.” “I didn’t go there looking for you. I went looking for me.” My voice is soft, low, and shaky. “But now, here you are, and somehow, in finding you, I think I’ve found myself.” “A person never forgets the landscape of their childhood’.” “There are always two deaths, the real one and the one people know about.” “Each memory, good and bad, was another invisible thread that bound them together…It was as simple and complicated as that. “I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I’m more afraid of succeeding at things that don’t matter.” “All this time I’d thought we were strangers, and it turned out we knew each other intuitively, in our bones, in our blood. It was kind of romantic. Catastrophically romantic.” “Sometimes it feels like the wind has hands, has fingers. Sometimes I wonder if I could reach out and grab it. If it would grab me back, squeeze the space between my fingers, take me away.” “It’s like your sadness is so deep and overwhelming that you’re worried it will drown everyone else in your life if you let them too close to it.” “I will be stronger than my sadness.” “A working brain is probably a lot like a map, where anybody can get from one place to another on the freeways. It’s the nonworking brains that get blocked, that have dead ends, that are under construction like mine.” “This is our story to tell. You’d think for all the reading I do, I would have thought about this before, but I haven’t. I’ve never once thought about the interpretative, the story telling aspect of life, of my life. I always felt like I was in a story, yes, but not like I was the author of it, or like I had any say in its telling whatsoever.” “Remember how it was when we kissed? Armfuls and armfuls of light thrown right at us. A rope dropping down from the sky. How can the word love and the word life even fit in the mouth?” “Won’t we be quite the pair?—you with your bad heart, me with my bad head. Together, though, we might have something worthwhile.” “Look forward to having nothing but the dignity and intelligence and tenderness that God gave you—look forward to taking those materials and nothing else, and making something exquisite with them.” “even after somebody dies, you can still keep learning about them.” “I think… if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts.”
HI FRIENDS! Can you believe it’s February already?! We’re back with some new jams to keep you dancing through your month! Be sure to follow us on Spotify too (sugarandspiceofficial), so you’ll be the first in the know for when we upload a new playlist! xx
HOLY. HOW IS IT 2016? It’s so crazy to think that 2015 is over, but as we look back on all the craziness the year brought we are smothered in gratitude, happy tears and some definite LOLS. We have chartered through endless highs and low low lows, and with each experience have learned more and more of what it means to be ourselves. It’s a beautiful, fun, sad, and freaking hard journey but it’s all worth it. And with 2016s quick arrival, we’re ready to do it all over again but bigger and better this time. Based off our 2015 feels and 2016 hopes, we have put together some heartfelt promises we want to outwardly make. We hope you can connect with some of them and challenge you to make your own list of promises to yourself. And lastly, we just want to thank you all for loving and supporting us through this crazy ride. Sugar and Spice is so much more than a blog to us, it’s our friendship, our hopes our dreams, our therapy. We hope it can be those things for you too. Happy 2016!
xx Madeline & KayKay
1. i promise to not base my worth on anyone else’s opinion of me.
2. i promise to be kind to everyone, including myself.
3. i promise to remember that I can’t change my past, but I can change my future.
4. i promise to be vulnerable, love with no guarantees, say what i feel, and not be afraid of someone’s ability to reciprocate them.
5. i promise to not apologize for being undeniably myself, by embracing the good, the bad, and everywhere in between.
6. i promise to remind myself that there is no normal, only my normal, and the world needs all types of minds.
7. i promise to admit when i’m sad, broken, alone, anxious, hollow, because it’s okay to feel these things. that is what makes us human, that is what makes us alive.
8. i promise to not live in fear of my own expectations, afraid of what could happen or what might not.
9. i promise to doubt my doubts before I doubt myself, my friendships, my loves, my work, my faith and my art.
10. i promise to savor every moment, in the moment. To listen to the rain, to feel the song playing, to taste the food.
11. i promise to stop filtering myself. I want to remember what it means to be 100% me.
12. i promise to step away from fear of loss and love deeper, trust more, and be a better friend.
13. i promise to feel all the feels and no longer bury emotions for the fear of being judged.
14. i promise to fight selfish tendencies and dedicate more time and thought in building up those around me.
15. i promise to step outside of my comfort zone and open my mind to knew ideas, things and people.
16. i promise to keep my promises.